Thursday, January 14, 2010

Have I become a cyborg?

I have always laughed at those folks, walking around with the blue tooth headsets, seemingly talking to no one. (How can you tell if that person talking to no one is normal or schizophrenic? By the presence -- or absence -- of a blue tooth headset.) I jokingly call them cyborgs -- the next step is implantation of that headset in the ear.

Actually, I think that blue tooth technology and wireless devices are just proxies for the coming of widespread human telepathy. Or maybe we're using technology to reclaim part of our birthright.

I obviously don't have a blue tooth headset. But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm part cyborg, myself.

I've been without my Mac for over a week now, except for one day, during which I rescued the two main documents I'm working on, and a bit of my calendar, which I had to (eek!) write down by hand. The substitute Mac I have is even more unreliable than my main one, in that it shuts down randomly (save your work often!), and it doesn't have my address book (BOTH my address book backups died simultaneously with my Mac hard drive), nor can it access my email.

I'm feeling really out of sorts. Everything takes twice as long on this old machine, and the keys and the touch pad don't feel the same. I feel unproductive, at sea. There are lots of things I can't do, but I'm also avoiding things I can do online, like write this, just because it's not the same machine. Have I become so attached to this computer, this thing, that I'm not myself without it? And does that make me a cyborg?

But here's the even stranger thing: I'm noticing my own telepathy more.
I am planning to hike with a friend, M, in Marin on Saturday afternoon. Since I don't go there all that often, I decided to visit another friend, J, afterwards, around 5:30, and arranged that over a week ago. This morning, it popped into my mind to stop and see a third friend, A, but I dismissed it, because I don't have my address book, so I don't have her phone number. Here's what happened:

I was talking to a client this morning. We were almost done with our conversation, just saying our goodbyes, when the phone cut out. I hit *69, as she had called me, but got connected to M instead!

M said that she was planning to visit A on Saturday (wow, what a coincidence!), and could I shift my plans to accommodate that?

Well, I had to call J to see if she could meet at 6 instead of 5:30 -- but I wanted to visit A, as well. Luckily, M had A's phone number (remember, I don't have an address book), and it turns out that A's birthday is Saturday, so I was invited to her open house!

And J had emailed me this morning (but I have no email) to ask if I could arrange our meeting to be at
6 instead of 5:30!

Maybe I'm connected on the innernet, even when I'm not connected on the internet. And maybe you are, too.

No comments: