Monday, February 23, 2009

A No-brainer Way to Feel Better in 2 Minutes Flat

Ever been in a meeting, or at the airport, or even driving, & felt crummy? You know, those times when you have to stay focused on the meeting, the departure announcements or the road, but all you want to do is take care of yourself?

Guess what? It's possible to do both -- stay focused on the task at hand and take care of yourself -- at the same time. And it's ridiculously easy. And no one will ever know.

I just learned this amazing Brain Gym technique from someone I met (thanks, Dorothy!) and I can't believe how well it works. Here's what you do:

Push the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, just behind your front teeth, and hold it for 2 minutes.

You do have to find the right place to push. To find it, you can either:
  1. Try a few different ones till you find it by trial and error, noticing when you feel the rush, or
  2. Suck your thumb for a second. Where your thumb pushes against the roof of your mouth is the right place.
Apparently, pushing against this place releases endorphins. It's why babies suck their thumbs.

I tried it a few times yesterday, including lying in bed. And when I was lying there, quite still, I could actually feel the subtle rush. This morning, I did it while I was walking, and I swear, it didn't take 2 minutes. I suppose, like any else, the more you practice it, the easier and quicker the response, as you will have developed neural pathways to support it.

No comments: