Friday, January 07, 2011

Why I Do What I Do OR A Letter Every Healer Should Read

Bill Keller was a famous programmer, and a grad student at Princeton. (I guess that's why the story caught my eye, the Princeton Engineering connection.) He committed suicide earlier this week, due to the lingering effects of childhood sexual abuse.

He left a suicide note that affected me deeply. I never met Bill Keller, though I wish I had. I don't know if I could have helped him, but I wish I'd at least had the opportunity. If I have ever, or will ever, stop this needless pain, needless death, even once in my life, then that alone would justify my existence.

Keller writes very clearly and articulately about his predicament -- and why he never chose to talk to anyone about it. It is a pretty good indictment of the medical establishment, as well as fundamentalist Christianity. Every healer should read this note, because this is what your clients are probably not saying to you. It is a clear window into a very troubled soul, and it is good to see the world through your client's eyes.

Warning for non-healers: It is very disturbing, not for the faint of heart.

http://documents.from.bz/note.txt

1 comment:

JCSanders said...

After reading this suicide note: I feel angry for religious abuse and saddened that he was so isolated and hopeless. I am studying to become a therapist and I appreciate your calling out to all healers. I believe we all can help heal his pain even now that he is gone, but maybe we can aid those other sufferring perpetrators also, for I beleive they to are ill and in need of healing.