Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Entropy is where my reality meets yours...

In case you who don't remember high school chemistry, entropy is the tendency for ordered systems to become disordered. Combating entropy takes energy. And I feel like that's where most of my energy has been going for the last day or two.

In the last 24 hours, here's what I've done:
  1. taken the cat to the vet to deal with his wounds (he apparently got into it with another cat)
  2. picked up my husband when his car wouldn't start
  3. found out how to track down a water leak, which my water bill shows has begun
  4. bugged someone from whom I need information, who apparently can't be bothered to return my call
  5. chased a tenant who isn't paying on time (good tenant for a long time, but now...)
  6. set up my Intuition Development teleclass for Monday on MaestroConference -- along with a backup call on FreeConference, because last week, for HypnoCoaching, Maestro was just too busy to let my scheduled call actually happen
  7. work on how to make up for the call Maestro wouldn't let happen
  8. try to get Maestro to make a reasonable restitution for what happened (still waiting)
  9. got a notice about another tenant who promised to repair the damage they'd done to my apartment several months ago -- and didn't
Now, I'm a big believer in "You create your reality through your beliefs," but I can't imagine what belief might have caused all this. In fact, when I'm acting as a real estate broker, I know that much of what I get paid for is to manage entropy. I suspect that entropy is created by the friction between 'my reality' and 'consensual reality'.

Consensual reality is actually the aggregate of each individual's realities. What if a million people want rain in a given metro area, and another million don't? (And btw, there is some evidence that human consciousness affects the weather in Serge Kahili King's 'Urban Shaman' and in a wonderful study on weather in Princeton around graduation by Roger Nelson, now of the Gaia Project.) Maybe it drizzles, or maybe there are patches of rain and patches of dry. My wish for rain comes up against your wish for dry, and neither of us gets exactly what we want.

So let's look at those 9 items again, from this perspective:
  1. the cat wanted something that whatever other animal didn't -- and I accepted the fallout because I love the cat.
  2. my husband manifested a car that wouldn't start because he doesn't want to go forward on something -- and I accepted the fallout because I love my husband.
  3. water wears things away as it moves, eventually resulting in a leak -- and I accepted the fallout because (a) it's my property and (b) I'm mindful of our local drought.
  4. I want the information, and it's higher on my priority list to get it than it is for the person who has the information to give it to me, so I take on the responsibility to bug her.
  5. I care about getting the rent, so that I can pay the mortgage -- there are large negative consequences to me for not doing that, so I take on the responsibility to chase the tenant.
  6. It was more important for Maestro to service their big clients than small ones like me, and since I want to provide a good service for my students, I take on the responsibility of setting up a back up.
  7. I want my students to have an optimal experience, so I take on the responsibility to make up for what MaestroConference messed up.
  8. I want MaestroConference to make up for what they are costing me in time.
  9. It's my responsibility to manage my property -- and now I know that this tenant can't be trusted to live up to the lease by repairing their own damage.
So I have created most of these items, if not all, by a beliefs that (a) I'm responsible and (b) responsibility means taking action. Obviously, in most of these items, the other party has no such belief about responsibility, or at least not in these particular instances. And it's the friction between these beliefs, the friction between my reality and either another person's reality (the person who won't call me back) or consensual reality (water wears things down), that manifests in this way.

No comments: