Tuesday, May 05, 2009

What's the single best question to ask NOW for your self-development?

Q: What's the single best question to ask yourself, anywhere, any time, for your self-development?
A: What does this have to teach me?

It's long been popular in spiritual/self-development circles for people to ask, "What am I supposed to learn from this?" in the face or aftermath of a crisis. And that's useful. But it's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about asking the question, "What does this have to teach me?" about things in your environment. Here are a few examples from the room I'm in while I write this:

  • Salt lamp - A salt lamp is a hunk of pink sea salt (i.e. salt precipitated from sea water back when the land where it is found was underwater), hollowed out and fitted with a low wattage light bulb, and set on a wooden disk for a base, with an electrical cord.What does the salt lamp have to teach me? It teaches that light comes through structure, and that both are necessary for manifestation in the physical world. Light without structure is formless, and so not obvious, not really seen; structure without light is literally in the dark and not seen. Also, it teaches that illumination comes from within, and from the connection to 'all that is' (in the lamp's case, electricity).
  • Wooden Armoire - What does the armoire have to teach me? It teaches that something can have structure and solidity, but also be open to hold space for others. I choose what those things are. It also teaches that structure supports (I have baskets holding scarves, etc. on top of the armoire & necklaces hanging from the door knobs.)
  • Black UniBall pen - What doe sthe pen have to teac h me? It teaches that simply being a tool that energy can flow through to communicate with others is useful (when I write with it, I communicate, but I also am a tool of communication for higher energies). Darkness (black ink) can be useful, sometimes just because of contrast (with white paper). Even those things that communicate can also adhere (clip on side of pen).
If you do this for a while, you'll notice that the world is almost literally screaming lessons at you, profound truths that you just have to pay attention to notice. I suspect, having just stumbled upon this today, that the lessons each person learns from the objects they choose to focus on will be the perfect lessons for that person at that moment. So you really can't go wrong!

No comments: