Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Are dreams real?

On Sunday night, or more correctly, sometime early Monday morning, I had a dream where I was teaching a class. The class went as usual, which meant that during the part where the students were reading each other, I had some free time. Normally, I'd stay and sort of check in on how folks were doing, but this time, I went out to my car to see if everything was ready for the meeting I had after the class. My trunk was open and someone had stolen my laptop, which meant that I no longer had the necessary info and had to cancel the meeting. The good news was that I ad backed everythign up, and wasn't even upset.

Clearly, what was important to me about the dream was not what happened in class, so when I woke up I didn't really remember that part.

Here's the funny thing:

On Monday afternoon, I got the following email from a woman who was in one of my classes a couple of years ago:

"Last night I had a dream and you were a character. You came up behind me.. I was in some kind of classroom setting... you looked at me seriously... the classroom became silent... you put one of your hands on my right back shoulder and the other on the front.. I let out some tears and I remember feeling a release, yet without a conscious focus on what it was or why... then you disappeared and the class continued..."

So were our dreams just the fragments of what we can remember in normal waking consciousness of an alternate reality (the astral plane?) that we both shared?

No comments: