Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Manifesting Money -- or, Be Careful What You Ask For

This might sound over the top, even for me, but I swear, every word of this is true:

I really enjoy cooking. I like working with my hands, I love seeing a successful result from the work -- and I love eating the fruits of my labor (pun intended)! So last Saturday afternoon, I had a marathon cooking session (chicken broth, wild rice & vegetable soup, polenta, a huge chopped salad, 2 beer-can chickens, healthy refried beans, and chocolate bread), to turn the farmers' market's bounty into meals for a week. As you can imagine, this took about 4 hours -- and I was having a great time!

I was in the kitchen alone for the entire time, with all the doors closed. The door to the back deck was closed because it was really blustery, the door to the dining room was closed because my husband was working in there, and didn't want to hear the noise of me banging around in the kitchen, and the door to the hall was closed because if it's open when I cook, our overly sensitive smoke alarm goes off.

My husband and I were the only ones in the house.

My clothes had no pockets. I was in and out of the refrigerator constantly, in particular, using the vegetable bins which are at the bottom of the fridge. This meant that I saw the floor in front of the fridge regularly, and it was empty (okay, a little dirty, but empty).

After about 3 hours of cooking, there was a $20 bill, neatly folded in fourths, sitting on the floor directly in front of the refrigerator!

I questioned my husband -- had he been in there the one time I went to the bathroom? No. And furthermore, he asked how the twenty looked on the floor. I told him in fourths, and he said, 'couldn't have been me -- I fold my bills in half', pulling a wad of greenbacks out of his pocket to show me.

There is a skirted sofa in the kitchen, next to the fridge, but even if there had been a twenty under there, how would it have gotten out? Remember there was no real air motion, because all the doors were closed. There is nowhere else a $20 bill could have hidden.

So I conclude that somehow I manifested the twenty!

Why would this be?

Well, my guides have been telling me for some time to chill, to quit working so hard (I've noticed that it does not seem to produce any significant result). And when I thought back, I realized that for several years (though I stopped a couple of years ago), I had done the following affirmation:

"By being who I am, and doing what I love, I now prosper beyond my wildest dreams."

Perhaps, by doing this affirmation, I was precluding succeeding by working hard! Because if you love what you do, it doesn't feel like work. For me, doing sessions with people and teaching classes doesn't feel like work, at least not often. But all that marketing stuff -- definitely work! So maybe, by working hard at things I don't love, I preclude the kind of prosperity which I simultaneously affirm.

I guess the question is this, does an affirmation preclude what is not consistent with it, e.g. 'by being who I am and doing lots of things I hate, I now prosper beyond my wildest dreams'? I'm beginning to think so. After all, I was having a great time, cooking, which in my book is kind of f*#cking off, and there was the $20.

I have to admit that the idea that, having done that affirmation, working hard is a bad idea -- really challenges me. (I grew up with that old Protestant work ethic.)

Now, how do I manifest a $10,000,000 cashier's check? :)

No comments: