Thursday, August 07, 2008

What to do to create ease and flow in your life

When I was a kid, and I didn't want to do something that really needed to be done, like homework, my Dad would say, "That's why they call it work." The implication, of course, was that if it was easy, and/or I wanted to do it, then it wasn't work, and somehow, wasn't worthwhile.

Think about that. The societal programming probably runs about as deep for you as it does for me. Do you really appreciate that which comes easily to you? The ease with which you read a map or cook a meal? Or do you value more the things (or skills) for which you have struggled? Do you ever say, "That was too easy!", as if the ease with which something happened depreciates its value -- down to practically nothing? (Instead, try saying, 'that was just easy enough!' Feels better, doesn't it?)

On the other hand, perhaps you say that you choose to have ease and flow in your life. And you know about the Law of Attraction -- focus on what you want, sensualize it really well (visualize, hear, feel, smell and taste it in your imagination), and it... will... just... come to you. So if, say, you sensualize your work going easily and just flowing, then it should begin to do just that. How often does that actually happen for you? if you're like I used to be, not too often.

Do you get the contradiction here? On one hand, you value that which is difficult, and on the other, you say you prefer ease and flow. And of course, things move in fits and starts, flowing now, then stuck, then flowing, then stuck again.

I truly believe that 'you create your reality according to your beliefs', especially those beliefs of which you are unaware. So if you have a deeply held belief that 'hard work is good', the ease and flow... won't flow easily.

Simply being aware of the deeply held belief does begin to loosen it. You might try a new affirmation, something like, 'I prefer that my life flows easily', or perhaps 'my life flows easily'. Then be attentive to all the 'stuff' that comes up around it, and deal with it (and call me if I can help with this -- helping people change their beliefs is among my favorite things, and can usually be done very quickly).

This is what I've done, and it's making a huge difference in my life and work. I probably am doing about as much, but I'm not stressing about what isn't getting done. I'm enjoying life much more, and business has actually improved.

Now just relax... breathe... and enjoy being in the flow...

No comments: