Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How to Lasso Lady Luck!

Did you know there is a structure to luck? Or that you do actually make you own luck, and it's not by hard work?

There are several principles to lassoing luck, and one of them is to have a network, and cast your net wide.

Last week's column (scroll down 5 entries) did that -- without any intention on my part. Gina, a long-time acquaintance, answered my email with this:

"... I want to attend the Slow Food Nation conference at Fort Mason over Labor Day weekend. In my dreams, I want to stay in the Marina district in a small studio, ride my bike in to the event, hear some great music on the lawn at the concert, and fill myself with all kinds of ideas to bring people back to the conservation of green growing things for their soul.

"Booking that studio has been on my to do list. Booking that expensive hotel room....I just can't click on $180 per night. I know I need to get on with it or I'll miss the whole event. And then this idea came to me as I was reading your last newsletter about divinely inspired procrastination and was so amused.

"Would you happen to know anyone who would need house sitting/pet sitting in the San Fran area with safe parking? I'm the woman to do the job!"

Well, as it happens, I'm leaving this weekend for Mt. Shasta! So I got Gina as a house sitter (and although we had the cat feeding minimally covered, I had given up on someone watering the plants), and Gina got a free place to stay.

We both used our networks, and we both got lucky!

To learn how to be both luckier, happier and more successful, click here.

No comments: