Thursday, October 30, 2008

Energetic House Cleaning

Many years ago, I bought Victorian house in San Francisco, which dated to before the 1906 earthquake, and had subsequently been split into 3 units. The owner's unit was comprised of the first floor and the front half of the second floor. The back half of the second floor had been turned into a 1 bedroom apartment, and the attic had been turned into a 2 bedroom apartment, which was vacant and quite run down. I actually bought it from the owner as he was dying, and the energy in the house was horrible.

Right after I closed on the house, before I did anything to it, and long before I moved in, I invited a dozen friends over to 'clean out' the house energetically. I cooked them a good dinner, gave everyone some wine, and then I led a meditation designed to clean each of us out energetically and to connect us to both earth and universal energy. Then we began a ritual, which we performed in every room:

We stood around the perimeter of the room, spaced evenly, facing the walls, with our palms flat on them, and our feet flat on the floor. We said together, "I invoke the light of the divine within, I am a clear and perfect channel, light is my guide", three times. Then we said, "Bless this house, bless this house, bless this house." Then we stood, running earth and universal energy into the walls to clear them.

I have a distinct memory of all sorts of S&M action in the shower/dressing area, lots of visions of leather, even whips.


I hired a handyman to help me renovate the upstairs apartment -- tiling the kitchen and bath, refinishing a floor, installing new carpet, painting, etc. One day he said, "Do you mind if one of my other clients, a physician, comes over to pay me?" (He was getting paid in cash.) Of course it was fine.

So this guy showed up & walked around the house while I showed him the minimal changes I was making to the main unit (paint, and carpet in the stairwell), as well as the more extensive ones up in the former attic. He particularly admired a 5 foot by 8 foot, ornately carved, gilded mirror in the front hall of the main unit, which had been left by the former owner's heirs, as it was too difficult to move.

After about 45 minutes, the man looked straight at me and said, "Wow, I've been here before -- a lot! I just didn't recognize the place because it feels so different. It took me a while, but then I remembered the mirror." When I asked him about my vision, he told me that
the house was renowned in the gay community for the S&M parties that the recently departed owner threw regularly.

Why am I telling you this? Because of an article in today's New York Times, Supernatural Cleansing Methods. While I don't agree with everything they say, it's not bad as a survey.

No comments: